Sunday, September 25, 2005

"A NEW Blogger Challenge!"


There's been other blogger challenges in the past: "24 Hr. Comics"..."100 Things You Like Most About Comics"...so now I'd like to offer a new one aimed specifically towards those of you who like to create new characters and ideas for comic book characters.

I propose that you take a new sketch book (doesn't matter what size, but preferably 50 to 100 pages in length) and on each page create either a new character (hero or villian) until you completely fill up the booklet.

You can do them all in pencil, or ink all of them or just part of them, or color them all, or do them all in pastels or charcols..."whatever". But they must all be original creations that you've already created in the past, or new characters of your own.

And, if you can't draw, do them in "stick-figure" form, or just write a description of the character on each page: his or her powers; her or his status or to being either a good guy, or a bad guy. Give them all names, both their "real" names as well as their code names.

I started doing this back four years ago and filled up a tablet with 68 original characters. I've already begun a new sketch book a couple of weeks ago and have thus far gotten more than 30 in it. It's a great exercise for both your imagination and drawing skills.

Here's just a handful I've randomly picked from each sketch book that I've personally done, just to give you an idea of this challenge:


(Note: All characters copyright 2005 ~D.Puck' Please excuse any yellow lines that may appear on illustrations. Yes, I know that my scanner needs to be taken apart and cleaned!

"B.Wild!"

"Silica!"

"Reality Chick!"

"Original Sinner"

"Mega-Lynn!"

"The Malachite Troll"

"Glass Girl"


And now, in other "things", I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Autumn! (since I didn't post a blog on the 22nd.). Also I hope that all my friends in Texas are okay after the current hurricane as well as all others who have been suffering from the natural disasters here of late. My prayers are with you all.



Collecting-wise I've started trying to reaccumulate sets of all the "Kirby 4th. World" stuff from the early 1970's. Just got in a lot of Mister Miracles, plus a New Gods I didn't have and am awaiting some of his issues of Jimmy Olsen (including those two silly ones with Don Rickles. Not that I've given up on sets of titles like Doom Patrol (the Vertigo issues) as well as Animal Man, but I'm getting down to the nitty-gritty on those and it's difficult to win just various issues that I need to fill up "the holes" now.

Just three months from today until Christmas. Time to start getting ones' thoughts together about that (at least for those of us who celebrate this holiday). It'll be here before you know it!

3 Comments:

At 7:38 AM , Blogger Johnny Bacardi said...

Dave, I haven't drawn 50 characters in the last 35 years, at least! But it sounds cool and I hope you get a lot of reactions from it...!

 
At 7:40 AM , Blogger Johnny Bacardi said...

Oh, by the way, I like Original Sinner- that's a neat idea.

And "Nita Mann"? Ouch...

 
At 5:40 PM , Blogger ~D.Puck' said...

If you think Nita Mann is a bad one, you should read the names of some of the other characters for a good "groan"!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home