Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Post No. 722"

Always Something Dept: My wife and I started over to Glasgow, KY. today to Wal-Mart to pick me up a much needed new pair of shoes and stopped at Minit Mart along the way (about 5 miles from here), got some breakfast and ate that in the car before going on, and when we started back on our way, the brake light came on. I had just checked over the car before we started and even added a little brake fluid to it as it looked somewhat low, but upon rechecking the master cylinder, it was dry! I added some more and got under the car to look and told her to press on the brakes and it was squiring out underneath the back of the car. So, we cancelled that trip and drove it back home very slowly. Upon getting it back to our drive I got underneath it again and looked with a bright flashlight and saw that the rear right line had rusted almost in two. If we'd not stopped at MMt and went on to Glasgow, we'd never made it to Wallyworld (or had to maybe pay for a tow back home). Now I'll have to get it to a mechanic to have that fixed (another not needed expense for us these days), plus my wife will have to give me a ride to work tomorrow as I'm not off again until Tuesday and it'll be at least then when I can get it to the mechanic. On top of this, my mom has a doctor's appointment in Glasgow come this Wednesday. Always something.


Actually it "could" have gone out even earlier on me today as I took my mother to church then went by the flea markets about an hour before. So I suppose either something looks after fools like me, or ...

Anyway, I found a DVD copy of "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace" today at the flea market, so now all I need having a set of the Christopher Reeve flicks is Superman 3. There were a few scenes in this flick that has always bothered be. For one thing, Superman rebuilds The Great Wall of China" w/a power he's not supposed to have, i.e., some sort of super-mental-vision ability, and another scene where he mentally levites some people back safely to the ground, and yet, another thing, was when the solar-powered villian "clawed" Supes, it harmed him. Now...isn't Supes' powers supposed to be derived from solar power? Looks like that would have strengthened him instead? (Oh well...maybe the villian was actually "draining" Suspes' energy instead.) Then there's the scenes of "dust" falling on the moon, when it'd probably have floated upward into the atmosphere and "noise" during the lunar battle, and finally the scene where the super-villian takes Mariel Hemingway into outer space and she "okay"! Oh well, even with the flaws it's a pretty decent flick. Ironically, there's a scene where the solar-powered super villian tosses the State of Liberty towards a city street right past a shot of "the twin towers".

Then one dealer had these unopened full boxes of "Desert Storm" cards from the 1990's. The boxes had gotten damp from getting caught in a down pour yesterday, but I knew all of the cards were alright as they were wax packs all sealed. He told me he'd take $1.00 a box on them, so I snatched one up, and then he told me to take two for a buck as he was trying to get rid of them, so I got an unopened full box of the "pro" DS cards as well. "2 for a Buck"! Luv dem deals!

Otherwise I got in a lot of a couple dozen comics from an auction win. Nothing "special" in the lot, but some good reading material.

There was a DC Blackhawk #219 from 1966 with "Go-Go Checks" cover. Silly ass story though about Andre's South American cousin wanting to be a BH. 'Bout half way racist, actually, or either a good case for closing the Arizona border.

Then there was a Dell issue of T.H.E. Cat #2 (1967) w/a Frank Loggia photo cover. Stiny artwork, but neat cover. A Gold Key Space Family Robinson #17 (1966) with a "painted-type" cover and Dan Spiegle art. I always enjoyed that title and bought it from issue #1 right off the racks before the "Lost In Space" t.v. show ever debuted. They had some great covers, especially.

There was a Gold Key Doctor Solar #25 (1968), which reminded me of something I'd forgotten; Ernie Colan had drawn some issues (yep! Same guy that did "Richie Rich", "Arak" and "Amethyst"). And a King Comics' Mandrake the Magician #7 (1967), with only so-so artwork and a "Brick Bradford"secondary feature, but this issue had the origin of Mandrake's side-kick, "Lothar".

My favorites from the lot were copies of Megaton Comics' Wildman #'s 1 & 2 with Richard "Grass" Green artwork, and were the only two issues Magaton published (altho' it was continued by another company up to #5). Grass Green was one of my favorite of what I considered semi-professional fan artists of the 1960's, first seeing his artwork in a fanzine called Star-Studded Comics published by a fan group called The Texas Trio. Other well-known fans from that time appearing in these issues are Ronn Foss and Howard Keltner, so this was pretty much an old school first-fan project. The back-up feature in issue #2 of WM was "Xal-Kor, The Human Cat", which is probably more remembered than Wildman ("aaannnnnddd Rubberboy!")

The rest of this lot consisted of Shi: Through the Ashes (a 9/11 Tribute comic published by Crusade Comics and with Billy Tucci artwork, shown on this blog just yesterday), a Marvel-UK issue of Warheads #3 w/a "Iron Man" app., a Marvel Doctror Strange #16 with Guise artwork and an app. of our fave odd-guy, "Brother Voodoo",a Marvel Defenders #54 w/ Giffen - Mike Golden artwork, a DC Who's Who: Impact Comics (magazine-size), and some lesser stuff I wanted to read and a few dup's or just junk to me books that ended up in my yard sale quarter boxes.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home