Friday, October 14, 2005

"Time-Killer Comments"




A funny photo I found rummaging thru stuff around here the other day. This is a photo of (the "late") "Whiskers" sitting on top of a box of comics way back in 1991. Hard to believe that was 14 years and two cats ago! Even odder is "why" I was using those short, soft drink-type boxes to keep my comics in back then? Maybe I thought they took up less room? Who can recall.

Well...the weather sure is nice around here. Mid 70's today in Southern Kentucky, but other parts of the country aren't having it so good. I heard where NYC has had 8 straight days of rain. In fact, one report said if the rain had been snow instead, they'd already had 96 inches of it!

I consider myself lucky in the respect that where I live, we really don't have any real problems with the weather. That's not to say we don't get cold weather, or the ice or snow, but we're situated far above any rivers, and the knobs surrounding this area pretty much keeps all the high winds away. 'Course...if a tornado gets down INTO this valley, we're screwed as there's no place for it to get out!

The last time I can recall this happening anywhere locally was way back in the late 1980's when strong winds (not a tornado mind you; just extremely strong winds off of a storm) came thru the next town down from us, right thru the interstate section, blowing over a Ky. Fried Chicken sign on top of a car and blowing out some windows. Then, there was that time since when we had a really bad ice storm that knocked out our power for three days around 1990, and I had to pack up the wife & cat and move in with my folks for the duration. But, times like that around here are few and far between.

And...what else today...Oh,yeah. For anyone that has always thought Plan 9 from Outer Space was the worst movie ever made, they've obviously never watched Wild, Wild Planet(1965) which the Turner channel showed today. The only thing classic about that flick is that it's classically bad. I did learn one thing from watching it, however. If I'm ever attacked by four-armed aliens and have a firey, ray-gun, I can kill the same if I shoot them in the back.

Today must be the day for the worst flicks Turner could find in their "vaults". Early on the 1968 Herman and the Hermits flick, Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter was on, followed by Roy Orbinson's grand moment of embarrassment, The Fastest Guitar In The West. "Mrs. Brown" isn't as bad as, say, The Monkees' Head flick, but it does follow as a close second, with (what plot there is of ) Peter Noone more interested in racing his greyhound (dog; not bus) than singing with his group. Needless to say, none of these mentioned flicks are Oscar material.


And, finally...I see where the Batman Begins flick will be available for rental come this next Tuesday (the 18th.), and even tho' I've yet to watch it, I'm not that certain I want to. For one thing, I really don't like the way "The Batmobile" looks in this movie. Maybe that's trivial, but it's one of the things I always look foreward to in each new Batman movie. And from the first previews of saw of this vehicle, I could tell that it'd be nothing more than some remote control toy available at "Wallyworld" in a couple of weeks. Gimmicks. That's what they keep basing these super-hero type flicks on rather than good storytelling. Hollywood will never learn.

1 Comments:

At 3:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... all you really need to do is blog about how crap your job is, and you probably won't need to worry about keeping it for too much longer...

Regarding Batman Begins and the lack of good storytelling in Hollywood: asked and answered, right there. BB is good storytelling; also good acting, semi-good directing (all the fight scenes were a bit choppy and 80s-music-video-ish) and superb casting. See it; really.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home