Saturday, July 01, 2006

"And...July...."



Finally got around to reading The Legion of Super-Heroes (DC/2005 series) 1 thru 11 (minus #8 which the dealer I got them from screwed up and left out of the run), plus Supergirl & The LOSHs #16.

Seems like with every new Legion series its writer wants to redefine the team. We now have The Legion recognized as more of a concept or idea, especially among the futuristic teenagers, rather than some organization.

There's also some interesting changes in the members, such as "Star Boy" now being a black guy (maybe this happened in a previous series?), but a trade-off with "The Invisible Kid" back to being a white guy. And that funny thing they've got going with "Colossal Boy", who insists his code name should be "Micro-Lad", because he claims his power isn't being able to grow into a Giant, but that he's really from a WORLD of Giants, and his ability is rather being able to shrink down to 6 ft. in height.

There's some interesting nostalgia here-and-there, showing the members reading silver-age DC comics. Things like a funky old Batman where he and "Bat-Woman" get married, or an issue of Mystery In Space featuring "Ultra, the Multi-Alien", so at least with the updated version where they want to hook in the new generation of readers, they also have some ties to their past where us "oldsters" can enjoy the title as well.

Crisp enough artwork and readable plotlines, this is one of the better LOSGs titles I've seen, and now with the addition of "Supergirl" back into the picture (Supergirl & LOSHs 16, which is what the title's now changed to), I can only see it getting better. Good job, DC!

I also read Superman V2 #'s 204 & 205 (Jim Lee's first two issues), which are now two years old, but as current as I've personally seen with this title. Not sure if I'd even want to see further issues as these books, although blessed with excellant Lee artwork, and Lee and Turner covers, have stories far too stretched out from issue-to-issue. These first two issues could have easily been put into one book. "So much fluff and not enough substance for me to really enjoy them.


And, on to other things....

I finally got another gallon of paint, so my wife and I went out and used it down to the last drop trying to make the old storage shop next to the house look better. I had put new wood on the backside of this a week or better ago, but it wasn't the color of the rest of the building (which now it is). We used what was left to paint other areas, but still lacked probably two more gallon to make it complete.

Also, the "shingle man" came by today and, weather permitting, he'll put a new gutter on one part of a side of the house and new shingles on a section of the roof this coming Monday. Outside of finishing up the scraping of old paint and repainting on the backside of the house, and some interior painting, my work will finally be done, at least on that part, and really all I can afford presently from the insurance settlement we received from the storm/hail damage of some months back.


Went by a few yard sales today and picked up a MTV "Singing Machine" Karaoke today, with AM/FM radio and t.v. Only paid five bucks for it, so no big loss there if I can't get it to working completely. Thus far I've gotten both the t.v. and radio working; wish I could figure out the CD player attachment as well.

Also found a nice little 1950-60's Stewart transistor radio, in its original box and earplug, for a buck that works, a Superman pinback (new) for a couple bucks, and one of those cold-cast "Robin/2 Face" statues w/its original box and certificate (from the Batman Forever flick), and a "Wonderman" action figure MOC. Grand total was less than $15. for all of it, so I did okay.


This is, of course, The 4th. of July weekend, and this being July 1st. means half of the year has already flown by. Quick trip! Less than 6 months now till Christmas. The years do seem to get a whole lot shorter to me anymore. The 3rd. of July always makes me a bit paranoid from having the only major auto accident I've ever experienced, even though that was was back in 1969. That's one day I'm especially careful about driving, and refuse to go anywhere near where the accident occured (although that's just superstition on my part).

I'm staying "busy" (as usual), with this being my first full day off in over a week now, which explains a lot about why I don't have the time to do more regular blog posts. At work we've had two different employees taking vacations over the past 2-1/2 weeks, then another one out with tooth surgery for several days leaving only a couple of people to run the entire retail during the weekdays. Add this OT at work to my ever-additional chore load of mowing my lawn, and with my folks getting older their lawn as well, plus the occasional 45 mile trip to my father-in-laws to mow HIS yard, plus work on house repairs, etc., etc....well...you get the picture.

Haven't had time to go see the new "Superman Returns" , visit a comic book shop, or much else except come home and sit down and relax, or come home and work even more, and just come home and collapse.


Hope everyone has a nice and safe 4th. holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home