Sunday, October 10, 2010

"Post No. 726"


I picked up a copy of the 1972 l.p. "Elephant's Memory" at yesterday's flea market for 50 cents. EM was one of John Lennon's old back-up bands, and this l.p. was produced by John and Yoko. Ironically, yesterday would also have been Lennon's birthday.


In fact, December 8th. will be the 30th. year anniversary of his death. To commemorate the life of John Lennon, my "Beatles & Bizarros" blog site will be getting a New Look. I'll be reversing the order of listings on the page where the Beatles app.'s in comic books will be first. I'll probably change the format of the template a bit as well; perhaps a different colored background.

Over on my Facebook page (link in the right column) I posted three songs in the memory of John, one "by" Elephant's Memory, and two by John (in case you'd like to go over there and give them a listen). David Allen Jones also posted several tribute songs to John on his own FB page, so you might want to listen to those as well.

Went by the local fleamarkets today and picked up a couple of the old Steve Reeves "Hercules" flicks, which were always fun things to watch. As a kid I was engrossed in mythology from the study of the Ancient Greeks, Norse, etc., everything from every book I could read in the local library and/or school library, movies based on such as well as comic books Those will be a good way to kill a lazy afternoon sometime. A major motion picture adaptation will be - IS being made - of "Thor" which will be released in a year or two, which I'm anxious to see.

My old friend Mala Shaw, a comic book collector/dealer from Louisville, KY. stopped by for a little while after I got off work yesterday evening. He had several $1.@ books for sell, but I'm a bit short of spending cash this week. I did, however, pick up 5 from one of his long boxes, which included copies of DC's House of Mystery #'s 214 (Wrightson cover & Aragones), 225 (100 PGR. Giant with a Kirby reprint, plus art by Frank Thorne, Don Heck, Sergio Aragones & Alex nino, with a "Phantom Stranger" reprint from the early 1950's as well as a "Spectre" cameo), MAX-Marvel's Supreme Power #13, written by Straczynski and artwork by Gary Frank, and a Supernatural Thrillers #7 from 1974 with the origin of "The Living Mummy" (Alcala artwork), and the first issue of the Aircel limited series "The Walking Dead" from 1989 (shame that wasn't the Kirkman/Image version as that's bringing some "big bucks" these days).

Got today off and have, as stated, already gone by the flea markets, took mom to church, changed a tire on my wife's van and later plan on getting up on the roof "playing Spider-man" to check the gutters for leaves that are already beginning to fall. Hard to tell it's Autumn here in S-Central, KY. today with temperatures getting up to 90 degrees! Guess I should appreciate not having to turn on the heat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home